Water Crisis in Pakistan
Water crisis – much loved world risk based mostly upon its impact on society (World Economic forum 2015).
Water insufficiency – a nightmare situation for Islamic Republic of Pakistan, despite it having the world’s largest glaciers.
Islamic Republic of Pakistan being one basin country is facing challenges of water insufficiency.
Islamic Republic of Pakistan among the thirty six most water stressed countries.
United Nations agency report throwing lightweight on the severity of Pakistan’s water crisis:
- Islamic Republic of Pakistan has the world’s fourth highest rate of water use
- Islamic Republic of Pakistan is that the third water stressed country within the world
- The formation within the Indus basin is that the second most stressed within the world
Causes of water crisis in West Pakistan:
(a) Violation of Indus water pact by India.
- Construction of Wullar barrage on watercourse Jhelum
- Construction of Buglihar Dam on watercourse Chenab
- Kishanganga project on watercourse Neelam
- China’s mega water diversion theme and its impact on the flow of watercourse Indus and Satluj.
(a) Delay within the construction of dams and water reservoirs
- Kalabagh Dam – a polemical issue
- Speedy growth and urbanization
(i) Country is among the world’s high six most well-liked states and as per the global organization report, projected to possess a population of three hundred million by 2050 inflicting a threat to property of water resources.
- Monetary constraints
- Inefficient water philosophy and lock of correct management of water resources by the government.
(i) Agricultural sector is exempt and over ninety computer of Pakistan’s water resources area unit allotted there to sector.
(ii) Inconvenience of safe water to the complete population.
(iii) Tarbela, Mangla and Chashma reservoirs have lost concerning five million acre-feet thanks to alluviation.
(iv) Associate in Nursing calculable four-hundredth of water that run through canals is lost thanks to flowing. (4.3)
- Increase within the heating and melting of glaciers
- On the average, glaciers presently lose between 50 to 150 cm of thickness each year that’s a pair of to three times more than the common of the twentieth century.
Consequences of Water Crisis:
(a) Threat of nuclear war between India and Pakistan on the water issue i.e India uses water as weapon against Pakistan in IWT agreement conflict in 2016.
- Severe episodes of droughts resulting in the devastation of agriculture.
(i) Water work and salinity is increasing as a results of putting in a lot of and a lot of tube wells so as to overcome the shortage of dams
- Loss of environment and devastation of commercial enterprise business leading toward state and Economy
- Sewerage disposal issue leading to pollution
- Lesser handiness of fresh water (arsenic poisoning)
- Importation of water at high rates
Water management ways
- West Pakistan ought to take the problem to International court of Justice so as to urge Republic of India to not create damson Western rivers.
At National Level:
(a) Construction of dams and enhancement of existing canal system.
(i) Construction of Kalabagh Dam
(ii) Raising Mangla Dam, Gomal Dam, Satpara dam, and Sabakzai Dam ought to be the highest priority.
(iii) Canlas ought to be cemented so as to prevent the flowing of water.
(iv) Creation of think factory (planning commission, HEC, universities, PEC) for water Resources Development and Management.
- Water rating reforms tariff reform is important to confirm property water use as canal water is heavily underpriced.
- Transferal the agriculture at intervals the tax web.
(i) Agriculture in West Pakistan is basically tax-exempt over ninetieth of Pakistan’s water resources are allotted to this sector.
- Adequate and sincere political can is needed to implement water rating reforms.
- Nationwide campaign to boost awareness.
(i) Relating to less water intensive crop production expected drip irrigation system ought to be adopted.
(ii) Optimum crop rotation ought to be inspired.
Public accord on national issue to defeat the villainous aims of enemies. Provinces ought to reform the agriculture taxation system within the context of NFC award so as to entrance the political interest of powerful land house owners. Management of excessive groundwater exploitation is imperative.
Water is that the most precious natural resources within the world. While not it there would be no life on earth. Unfortunately, water is changing into scarce and there are numerous factors resulting in this scarceness. Consistent with a report of world economic forum, water crisis is that the variety of 1 international risk primarily based upon the devastation it is probably to form. Notably in Islamic Republic of Pakistan things are sinister as Pakistan, though, given with the world’s largest glacial resources is facing the prospect of water crisis. The expected demand and supply imbalance is making challenges on the domestic, agricultural and industrial level as Pakistan’s water handiness is heavily relied upon Indus Basin.
Water crisis could be a nightmare situation, that’s only too real however inevitable for Asian nation. Consistent with a recent IMF report, Asian nation is among the thirty six most water stressed countries within the world.